Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Poems

Isaac Watts

Isaac Watts was a precocious child (this means that he was a genius and developed certain gifts and talents at an early age). He learned Latin at the age of four, Greek at nine, and Hebrew at thirteen. He was a remarkable young man. 

He also had a desire for rhyme and verse. He wrote an acrostic poem (the first letter of each line spells out something) at the age of seven that goes like this:

I am a vile polluted lump of earth
So I've continued ever since my birth
Although Jehovah grace does give me
As sure this monster Satan will deceive me
Come, therefore, Lord, from Satan's claws relieve me.

Isaac had a gift and the gift was given to him by God. He would go on to write over 600 hymns and is known as the "Father of English Hymnody."

Inspired by Isaac

Isaac Watts wrote poems and hymns to the glory of God that magnified the name of Jesus Christ. He has inspired me. I want you all to know something though. At the age of four I was trying to master the English language. At the age of nine I was still trying to master the English language. Now, at the age of twenty three I am still falling short of mastering the English language. I am not a precocious child (this means I am not a genius and that I have not developed certain gifts and talents at any quick rate). I am not a remarkable young man as Mr. Watts was.

Nevertheless, I do want to begin writing poetry to the glory of God. My prayer is that this poetry will serve in glorifying the Almighty God in heaven and bringing honor and praise to the name of Jesus Christ. 

Isaac Watts started with an acrostic poem that spelled out his name at the age of seven. I will start out with an acrostic poem that spells out my name at the age of twenty three.

Prisoner, held in bondage by death
Honoring the kingdom of darkness with my flesh
Irresistible grace, in due time, came and sought me
Limited atonement had already bought me
Inclined, I am now to sing
Praises to the eternal, everlasting King.

God is sovereign in all of His saving works. I hope this poem shows the sovereignty of God in the salvation of my soul. All glory be to His great name and to His beloved Son Jesus Christ.




No comments:

Post a Comment