Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Poems

Isaac Watts

I introduced you all to Isaac Watts, the famous hymn singer, last week. This week I want to tell you a little more about Isaac.

Isaac Watts began writing hymns in a day and time when all that was really sung in English churches were the Psalms of David. This does not seem like a big deal, but in reality this was a much bigger deal than changing the carpet color in a modern day church sanctuary. This was radical! Nonetheless, Isaac Watts had a conviction that the Scriptures commanded the singing of hymns so he began writing them and the church began singing them when Isaac was at the age of nineteen years old. 

The church loved the hymns that were being written and wanted Isaac to write a new one every week. By Isaac's early twenties he had written most of the six hundred plus hymn's that he would write in his life. Almost all of these are timeless and have and will be sung for many years to come. Among the most famous Isaac Watts' hymns is "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross". This hymn shows the passion and zeal that Watts had for Christ. Worship while you read this.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, That I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood, 

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine, 
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Inspired by Isaac

I am in no way Isaac Watts. I clearly stated this last week. I do, however, want to continue in writing some poems. This is what Isaac Watts was doing when he was seven and it is what I am aiming to do at the age of twenty three. 

The name of Christ is so sweet
Just to ponder it will bless thee
Lamb of God for sin was slain
Honor and praise are due His name
Up, He came forth, from the dead
Over the church, He is the Head.

Meditate upon the work of Christ today. He is altogether glorious and He reigns forever more. 

Revelation 5:12

"Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment